Friday, October 24, 2008

Nightcaps

Well hello from Nightcaps! I flew down to Invercargill last night and the folks picked me up from the airport for about an hours drive to their wee cottage in Nightcaps which is a tiny wee coal mining town in Southland. It's quite pretty but very tiny! Nightcaps has a population of less than 400 people to give you an idea of the size, however I discovered the other day when I googled it that there is quite a bit of info on Nightcaps as it is the only town in the world with that name and it is quite famous in its own way! This morning I headed out for a 45min run, the folks are cute, they were worried about me running on the main road cos of the trucks. Let me tell you that I saw a whole 8 vehicles while on the road! hahaha. In my 45mins I managed to head out of town and run up a gravel road where the sheep in the paddock looked at me look I was odd, the sheep on Rapaki etc are used to people and seem to ignore you, these guys were very curious! When I got to the end of the road I headed back towards town and took a wee running tour of the town where I pretty much saw everything there was to see, a 4 square shop, a pub and a few small businesses. The people in town also looked kind of amused at someone out running, I'm getting the impression that such things are not normal here! Oh well!
I'm down here for a family reunion that is happening in Gore (yes I probably should roll my rrrr's!) on Sunday/Monday, it will be cool to catch up with some of the rellies! I am a tad worried that other than my wee nieces I may well be the youngest one there as all my cousins are around the age of my oldest brother and he is 10 years older than me. One of my aunts and cousins popped in here earlier as they have been out sight-seeing around Southland as they haven't been here in ages, funny that last time my cousin remembers seeing me I was a toddler!
We've been out seeing the sights today as well, we went to a quilt show in Otautau which is what my mum is into so we do these things! Then off across the road to the Sallie Army shop where I managed to score a couple of bargains, it appears that they get stuff in from the Sallies in Queenstown so have some quite nice stuff that all the tourists can't fit in their bags to take home. I never have time to visit the op shops at home so that was kinda fun. Then we took a wee tekki tour to a couple of other wee towns, Tinkerton and Ohai. Tinkerton is so little and the roads are gravel! Crazy!
Off to Winton tomorrow as that's where my brother and his family live, mum has assured me that there is a good op shop there as well, so more bargains to come hopefully!

3 comments:

Neets_ said...

You mentioned you're using Dial Up, when you told them you're writing your blog were they like "what's a blog"?

I'm just teasing. They might be in a small town but they've got Internet!

Sounds like it's a great time to relax and do things that aren't ordinary every day run of the mill stuff.

I hope you find some younger people to associate with during the reunion, and that the music is varied ;-)

Rachel Harris said...

Ha ha, what an account. Scary, but amusing. :-) Good job you didn't take your bike down - I can imagine there'd be a group of towns folk standing around it and prodding it with a stick.

wilier gurl said...

Found outits not really dial-up, they just disconnect and turn off the puter when its not in use, I was good and asked if I was allowed to use it in daylight hours! Tis very slow broadband tho! Nah, didn't say I was blogging, dad was having a nap watching Coro St at the time! haha! They are quite up with it technically tho, this is quite a flash laptop and they have a rather clever printer/scanner/photo thing and are currently taking copies of lots of old famil pics for the reunion and some for me to take home! So funny checking out pics of me when I was little! Gee I was cute!
Gosh Rach I think folk down here would flip out at the sight of my bike, I get the impression that is rusty Raleigh 20 territory! Went for another run today, was out twice as long and didn't see another soul walking/running or biking and only saw twice as many cars as yesterday! Not bad for a Saturday in the big smoke!