Friday, November 7, 2008

Snow?? Really!

So, its November now, that conjures up thoughts of sunshine and warmth. But no, we get snow!! Crazy!
Wednesday night was spin (was sposed to be an outdoor ride but reverted to spin as it was soo cold out) then a run off the bike. Spin was all good, it was inside in the warm! My thighs were feeling it a little after running in the plantation the night before, it's all sandy in there at the moment so I wouldn't recommend it, it was hard yakka! I toughed it out through spin and wasn't really looking forward to the run however Al normally comes with me and we usually have a good time so we got ready to head out after deciding that we would run on the hills behind us rather than heading over to Rapaki like we have been doing recently. So, as we go to leave it starts to rain, so now not only is it really cold out it is raining too! Great! We had managed to convince someone else to join us so we decided to be tough and head out anyway. Well about 15mins in that rain had little white particles in it, it was snow!! By this point we were absolutely frozen and soaked so we called it quits and ran back to Pioneer. Once back there we loaded bikes etc into cars and then the sun came out and it warmed up? WTF?? That's just nuts! We looked at each other and briefly considered heading back out but quickly decided that would just be foolish!
Next morning I had to do a 90min cycle, I was very unimpressed to see that the weather man was trying to tell me that it felt like minus 3 degrees outside! The worst part was that he was right! Blimey it was cold, I kinda wrapped up but not enough, I couldn't find my leg warmers so was wearing unlined knee warmers and had short finger gloves. After about 5mins I thought my fingers were going to fall off! I really wanted to hit red lights for a change so I could try and warm my fingers up by holding them under my armpits! I headed up Mt Pleasant Road, this is only the second time I have attempted this climb, last time was prob 18 months or so ago and I really struggled, I had to stop about 3 times so I decided that if I can make it up Dyers from Governors Bay then it Mt Pleasant should be easy. Not sure that I would say that it is easy, it's a constant climb, there are no flat parts but I did manage to do the whole climb in a gear no bigger than a 21 so I was pretty happy with that. What hurt was getting to the top and seeing snow! Brr!! I had finally warmed up on the climb which was really nice and the view out over the bay from up there was stunning, definitely worth getting out of bed early for!! I froze again on the descent as you would expect on a day like that but the real fun part was getting a flat tire on the causeway, it was more a case of when rather than if I got one as there was heaps and heaps of glass on the roads from Guy Fawkes the night before. So there I was on the causeway at 8am in peak traffic changing my tire, at least I had the good sense not to stick my bum out towards the traffic while I was changing my tire! Haha

2 comments:

Rachel Harris said...

Snow you say?? Nah, don't believe you. ;-)

Neets_ said...

I really felt for you heading out into that bitter rain on Wednesday. Did you time the tube change? What a bugger getting a flat.