Thursday, December 20, 2007

How it all began....

Well, after considerable time messaging on various websites etc I thought it would be a good idea to post my thoughts etc in one place.
I have been doing Triathlons for just on 4 years now. Started off nice and gentle with the Kellogs Special K event back in Feb 04. Potentially not a lot of fun, it was my birthday and it was foul weather, pissing rain, foggy and cold!! I was hooked tho and immediately looked for more triathlons to do. I discovered the Contours Series and entered those and have completed those every year since 04. I also completed the Active Woman Series for the couple of years that they were run in ChCh. I mixed things up with a few 5 and 10km running races, I was under some obscure delusion that if I entered running races I would actually work on my running and it would improve!
After a couple of years of the shorter distances I entered a few longer triathlons, I did the Canterbury Tri Club races as these had longer distances. I discovered its actually heaps of fun to race in a mixed race, all my previous races were womens events.
In June 06 I did my first half marathon, that was a mammoth effort esp when the run goes right past the end of your drive!
January 07 I did my first ever Olympic distance race and loved every minute of it! That was when I figured I may be better at this longer distance thing.
In March 07 I set a goal of completing my first Half Ironman in November 07. Bit of a big scary goal but I did some smart stuff and got a coach for the first time ever.
Completed the ChCh Half Marathon again in June 07 and had my first ever sports injury, it's not fun limping/hobbling/crying to the finish line of a race. And I was quicker than the previous year.
About 2 months out from the Half IM I decided I needed to change my coach, when I first selected a coach I really had no idea what I needed from a coach. Second time round I was much smarter and met up with a couple of different people and now have the best coach ever! (Richard when you read this just skip this part ok!)
Half Ironman went pretty well, I was extremely well prepared and had an awesome day out (I will post the race report here later) and loved every minute of that long hot day! I am keen to do another Half IM or 2 and have committed to completing Ironman NZ in 2009.
This blog will follow my journey from now until then. It will be an interesting journey filled with many challenges and plenty of fun along the way.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Cool colour Wiliergurl!!