Friday, April 4, 2008

Easter

Easter was a mission training weekend, beware what you ask for as you may get it!! Hahaha, I suggested that I have a huge training weekend over Easter as I wasn't going away or doing anything in particular so that is exactly what I got. It looked a little like this: Friday - 60min swim and a 3 hour ride, Saturday - 2 hour hill run, Sunday - 60min swim, Monday - 3 hour ride plus an hour run off the bike. So lots of hard work but heaps of fun!
On the Friday I decided that rather than doing drills etc I would have a go at doing a 3.8km swim so I knew that I could do the distance as I had never swum that far before. Let's just say that 152 lengths of a 25m pool is not the most inspiring swim one could do! I was a little worried about losing count so decided to split it into quarters counting 4 lots of 38 laps. I wore Geoff's HRM so I could download all the data and hit the split timer every quarter so I would have an idea how consistent I was over the distance. The good news is that my HR was very consistent throughout and the splits were all relatively similar, nothing more than a minute difference in each of them which is good. I took it pretty easy as I had never swum that far before and obviously had a big weekend ahead of me.
Headed home after the swim and managed to catch Ironman NZ on SKY before heading out on my ride. Went for a slightly different ride to normal, headed out to do short bays, have decided that I am only going up Dyers Pass Rd from now on (I really hope that decision doesn't bite me in the bum at a later date!). Headed down into Governer's Bay as normal, then headed along the bays, up Evans and turned left to go along the Summit Rd to the Kiwi, it is such a pretty ride going along there but blimey it just keeps going up and up and up!! Descended from the Kiwi down Hackthorne and headed home.
Had some nice damp weather for my run on the Saturday which is actually quite nice for running. I started off at the old Capt. Thomas walkway yet again, (I need to start experimenting on diff runs) on Rapanui I took the turn-off to the Scarborough Bluffs and managed to get myself all the way to Taylors Mistake, this involved running thru a paddock full of sheep so was quite amusing! Heading into Taylor's the path took me down a track that led into an awful lot of steps, so I figured, hmmm will count those on the way back it seems like quite a few steps, imagine my horror when I headed back to see that the sign on the track is simply '193 Step track'..........and they are narrow steep things too! It certainly raised the heart rate getting back up those!! I'll be back to do them again tho :)
Sunday was pretty casual with just a swim on the cards, did a technique session with some speedwork thrown in for good measure, Murphy's Law the pool was 50m today! They couldn't have organised that when I did that 3.8km could they!! I even managed to get out and rake the leaves in the drive and generally get some jobs down around home although I did have reasonably sore legs from the day before. I need some compression tights methinks!
Monday the biggest mission of them all!! Off to try another new bike ride, I have decided that standard long bays is just a huge mission! Its a long way out to Motukarara, so I decided to do long bays the other way so headed on up to the Kiwi, turned right there and headed along Summit Rd to Coopers and descended down Gebbies. I have never gone along Summit Rd that way before and it is absolutely stunning along there!! Gorgeous views that whole way!! I'm definitely riding along there more in the future. Managed to comfortably get myself over the 'Bitches' using my '21' rather than my '25' for climbing so that was pretty cool!! Headed along the bays and up over Evans, through Sumner to home. A quick change of shoes and top and off for that run. I had worked out that a lap around the river plus a loop thru the reserve would take about an hour, the good news is that it didn't!! The bad news is I had to quickly figure out a good place to add on a detour that wouldn't take me too far away! I ended up running just under an hour but the super-cool part is that I did run the whole time! That's huge for me as I am the proverbial run/walker, its so much fun to be able to run and run now!
So rather a mission but thats what long weekends are for eh :)

No comments: