Monday, April 7, 2008

Ok am trying to be good and update my blog more frequently!!
Am feeling a bit nervous about the fact that my training program has a cycling only focus for the next two weeks and then nothing at all for the 3 weeks after that!! The cycling only part is fair enough, I have Graperide this weekend followed by Around Brunner the weekend after so that is all cool, don't wanna go race with legs that are sore from running. But eek 3 weeks off!! Apparently thats an off-season, I get all jittery everytime I think about it! I was good tho and when I was at the nutritionist today I talked to her about eating and nutrition while not exercising so much so have some good ideas now of what to do and not do while I am less active. So if anyone wants to go fishing....golf....anything that doesn't involve a swim/bike or run then just let me know, I will be at a loose end from 20th April for 3 weeks!!!
Have managed to get some good training sessions under my belt this week tho so am feeling quite good about that. Had to do a 5km run TT the other night, it wasn't quite as sharp as my last couple but its still heaps quicker than what I was doing a year ago so can't be too unhappy about things! Swam at Centennial on Wed am, that is one busy little pool in the morning! Phew, its quite a mish finding enough lane space for yourself, decided to flag the drills I was supposed to do and just did some long sets as it seemed a lot safer. Went for a nice ride on Thurs evening in that nasty nasty wind that we had going on here in ChCh, I don't think Pete enjoyed riding with us somehow, he was very chatty at the start and was pretty quiet by the time we got home......
Saturday was a good running day, all overcast and ick! Started at the top of Evans for a change, I think I am almost a little bit over the Capt. Thomas now. Headed along the Scarbrough Bluffs to Taylors Mistake and along Godley Head, its real gorgeous over there. Underestimated how long it would take to get back tho as running that way there is more uphill on the return trip. I was a little silly and decided I would try and run all of those 193 steps, hmmmmm thats not a smart idea, they hurt a lot! Never mind, I have something to strive for there now.
Sunday was quite a huge day, a 4 hour ride followed up with a 20min run. I made sure I loaded up with some decent nutrition for this one, 4 hours is no walk in the park and I chose a challenging course for myself. I headed up Dyers to the Kiwi, went right at the Kiwi along the Summit to Gebbies, along the bays to Lyttleton up Evans, along the Summit back to the Kiwi and home. Was chatting to some dude when I was climbing Evans and managed to keep up with him and climbed Evans a minute faster than I ever have before........hmmm I must have been slacking, best I give it a really good nudge next time I am heading up there which I guess will be after that enforced rest thing! Had a good run afterwards which was nice, just did the usual wee loop thru the Horseshoe Lake reserve.
Right.....time to bring on Graperide!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man...sure sounds like you are doing big training sessions...i feel a tad inadequate.....doing 2hour rides at the mo.....:( hmmm, my focus is supposed to be on running, but even my runs aren't more than 60mins at the mo! You are kicking ass mate, well done!

wilier gurl said...

Hey Bec, only doing huge sessions cos I haev Graperide this weekend and Around Brunner next weekend. It all goes quiet soon when I get to take a forced break for 3 weeks. Just follow the advice of your coach, she knows what she's doing :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks :) I know....but I get scared of not being ready...and we have months still to go! I am crazy!

Anyway hope graperide goes really well...can't wait to read how it went :)