Monday, May 26, 2008

Musings

Hmmm have been thinking alot lately about the random things that happen and why and wondering why it is that some people get all obsessed about what others are doing and constantly compare etc. So since blogging is about musing/rambling/blogging what better place to ponder this without having to worry about whether anyone cares to hear what I say and I don't have to worry about hurting anyone's precious wee feelings cos this is my tiny little space in the world where quite frankly I can do and say as I please (well probably within the boundaries of blogspot.com, don't really want to get turfed off here!) and if ya don't like it don't visit. Ohh gosh, I sound a little feisty eh? Not my intent at all, I just get a bit fed up with other people criticising others all the time and comparing themselves to one another etc, sure I'm not perfect either and I have been known to do some of those things as well. But geez people, there is no point comparing yourself athletically to someone else cos unless you are pretty much identical twins your body composition, mental attitude, fuel intake, power to weight ratio are all going to be so randomly different that it is virtually impossible to get a realistic gauge. Sure we would all like to be as quick as our idols, but hello I started doing triathlon once I got that 30 number in my age so the odds of me being able to keep up with someone who has been doing it sine they were 13?? Very slim at best, unless of course they get 3 flat tyres and I sail past them smiling to myself hoping that it takes them ages to fix them. Reality is I would probably offer to help rather than just sail past. Thats the very reason why I don't post my TT times for any of swim/bike/run times. Sure I do them and you better believe I track them pretty closely (on my own wee geeky excel spreadsheet) and I get pretty damn excited when I go quicker cos that is what it's all about for me. I only share them with 2 people, that's Geoff and my coach. I am in awe of the times that the boys can climb to the Kiwi and yep I track my times and I talk to the boys about where I can go quicker and make up the time, but let's take a reality check, I am not able to ride my bike up the hill at the phenomenal pace they do, geez Geoff has been climbing that hill for close to 30 years now, you better believe that it will take me longer to get up there, I reckon he knows every piece of gravel by name!! hehehee
It's funny, people keep asking if I have a goal time for Ironman, yep sure I do and I'll post that on here when I write my race report, for now all you need to know is that I will finish and you better believe that come hell or high water I will be finishing before midnight unless they carry me off the course on a stretcher or something! I've shared my goal with those that need to know, I'm not out to race anyone but myself on the day. So what if someone else is faster than me? Well, I'm not doing it for them so that they have someone to beat, I'm doing it for me cos this is something I want to do and I want to do it for me. I know there'll be a contingent there to watch and support and thats wicked, I'm looking forward to that and I'll be needing that support for sure, it's gonna be a long day out so I hope you all have great endurance.
Ohhh am looking forward to the results from orienteering to go online, am quite excited about possibly being in last place!! hehee that will be fun! Gosh it took us forever to travel what would have been about 3km if we had travelled in a straight line from point to point! Haha, I thought they were joking when they said average speed would be about 2.5km an hour! Try 1.5km p/h!! What is this thing that people have worrying about being last? True, I've never actually been last in a race but I have been there plenty of times to clap and cheer that last person over the line! They get a way bigger cheer than the winners. Why? Well no-one is around when the winners come in, when you are last everyone is there and everyone for their own reasons is really impressed with that last place getter. I reckon they have the tougher end of the deal, they are competing way longer than lots of others, mentally that must be challenging having the tail-end charlie vehicle behind you or seeing others start to pack up the course as you go past. I had the pleasure of keeping a friend company once while she completed the final walk in a duathlon race, I was done and dusted ages ago and saw her heading out on that final walk so I tagged along to help keep her going. The support for her out there on the course was amazing! So many folk were just cheering us on, I had to keep explaining that I was just keeping company as I wanted her to have all the glory! I stopped just before the finish chute so she could go on up and saviour that moment of glory on her own cos trust me, her race was much much harder than mine, and I stepped aside and had a wee sniffle cos it was just wicked to hear the applause and cheers she got for getting out there and doing out! So far all you folk out there who are all freaked out about being last - guess what?? You're not last! You're already winning compared to the person who is still sitting on that couch wasting their life away watching crap telly (ok, I do like a bit of crap telly myself but you get the picture!) so get over being last, I'm kinda looking forward to my first last, cos trust me I will have had a helluva lot of fun coming last! I'll let you know how it goes! Yep, I'm one of those people who smiles to myself when I see people out walking etc when I'm on my bike or walking the dog. Why? Cos its one more person that has saved themselves from the couch!
Hmmm rambling away is kinda fun and it's certainly filled in part of the evening between cooking tea, making lunch, doing the washing etc.
Quote for the day:
To blog or not to blog; that is the question. - Nades (rudely plagiarised from Shakespeare of course)
Disclaimer - no alcohol was drunk in the writing of this blog

1 comment:

ange said...

Ditto Nades - life is competitive enough without putting the wee things that you enjoy doing in the spotlight for everybody else to pick and compere at, making you feel like a dick! When people ask what your doing or why, or say stupid comments like ' I bet you ran to work today', it's bloody 54kms to my work are you mad!! makes you feel like a lepper (no offence to leppers) that the best advice given to me lately has been - don't tell anyone what your doing, then the whole expectation that everybody else puts on you to complete YOUR goal won't become this huge, blown out of proportion thing that you have to answer to all of them why you didn't reach it! and then maybe my nerves will be less of a handicap and I actually might enjoy a race for once!!! :)