Thursday, May 29, 2008

Today's Comedy of Errors

Aaahhh it was just not meant to be today! I think I will lay all the blame on the French Open, cos had the tennis not been so riveting I would have gone to bed much much earlier! No, don't start lecturing about willpower and tell me it's all my choice and all that blah blah blah. If you had been watching Sharapova about to lose in the first round to Rodina who is ranked 104th you would have stayed up as well. It was an awesome awesome match to watch! I did have a couple of naps but managed to hang in there till the very late finish time. Consequently when that thing above my bed made awful beeping sounds this morning it would be fair to say that I didn't leap out of bed with excitement, in fact I think there may have been a record number of times for the old snooze button to get the go-ahead. When I eventually tumbled out it was off to walk the dog, that's always fun when you are half asleep but its my cunning plan to try and ensure he is too tired to behave destructively during the day (just so you know, this method isn't overly successful yet I continue to try). Then time to sort out my swim gear and work gear and drive into town nice and early to get a close-ish park to Centennial Pool and work. Ah the moment where I realised how daft I was to eat my breakfast as usual was a little priceless, who the hell eats a big breakfast before swimming? Remember what ya mum always said - you need to wait an hour before swimming after you've had your lunch. Hmmm, I am so out of the habit of swimming in the morning, normally I have an Up & Go then have breakfast after swimming. So that was the first error of the day. While I am walking from my car to the pool it dawned on me that I hadn't grabbed my access card and ID for work. Very spethial! Oh well I figured I could call someone and ask them to come down and let me in so would worry about that later. Get to the pool, all is good, am feeling pretty flash in my new togs! Go to get in the water and suddenly realise that bright spark here didn't pack a swim cap or goggles! Too funny! Well since I had just paid 5 bucks to get into the pool I figured what the hell I would just swim anyway! Well, that was real smart for the first 10 metres! Blimey, after 50m my eyes were stinging! I figured I should just suck it up and keep going which I did for a bit. Then I decided to do a few lengths of kick to give my eyes a break (yes, somehow I had managed to remember to bring my fins! What's with that?) so that was ok, then decided I better do a little more freestyle so I could see how my shoulder was holding up. By now I think other people were starting to laugh at me, one guy did feel a bit sorry for me and made polite conversation about my predicament but I bet he was smiling while he swam away. I tried to swim with my eyes closed but kept banging into the lane rope and also figured that wasn't so smart since I was sharing the lane with someone else. Did a few more lengths then gave up and did a bit of backstroke cos at least that was a little better on the eyes. I found out later that apparently you can hire goggles for a dollar! Oh well, at least I know for next time now. I decided that given the way my day was going I better get my coffee on the way to work so headed off to the Coffeesmiths. Luckily one of the girls from my team was there and when she stopped laughing at me she offered to wait for me so she could let me into work. So an interesting day was had with very red sore looking eyes and much laughter as I explained my comedy of errors to one and all! Here's hoping the next swim is a little more successful, not sure if a 15min swim really cuts the mustard for Ironman training!
Quote for the Day:
People will believe anything if you whisper it.
- The Whispered Rule

No comments: