Friday, December 19, 2008

3rd PhysioMed Womens Tri

Thought it best I get my race reports up to date before I race again on Sunday! I'm starting to think that blogging is going to get less frequent between now and IM!

So, about 2 weeks ago I did the final Womens Tri, the day after the Harbour Ride, needless to say I was feeling pretty tired by this stage, too many early mornings right after a couple of bad nights sleep thanks to the silly neighbours and their barky dog!

It was pretty tempting to not race, thats how tired I was feeling but figured I may as well just get on with it since I was there anyway. Blimey it was hard! I said to someone afterwards that it actually felt harder than the Half IM even though it only took about a quarter of the time! Headed off in the swim, it was a whole 250m (5 lengths of the pool) and it felt like a long, long way, I wanted to stop at the end of lap one but just kept powering along and ended up actually having a pretty quick swim. 5mins 28 including the run to transition.

T1 was about 1min 10, I pissed about putting on my race number in T1 cos I wasn't wearing my tri-suit I was just in tri-shorts and sports bra.


The cycle was not fun! This is when I started to feel sore from riding so much the day before, it was windy, head wind both ways cos thats just what happens when you cycle along by the sea. A couple of girls passed me heading up Beach Rd, they were drafting one another and my tired body thought ohhh that looks easy and jumped on but they were going to slow so I passed them and headed off on my own only to have one of them cling to my wheel for the rest of the 20kms! I even blew snot boogers to try and make her go away but that didn't work. The cycle leg was tough and I contemplated sitting on the side of the road for a wee rest, just a few minutes! I knew that I wouldn't get going again tho so just kept pedalling away. Cycle time including T2 was 41mins 38.




The run was tough again, my legs were less co-operative than at the half and I wanted to walk/stop/quit straight away, sadly (or luckily?) there were people I knew at the first corner of the run so I sucked it up and plodded past them and kept trundling around the course, it was a slow jog with a few walks thrown in. I kept yo-yo'ing back and forward past this other lady and half way round the last lap I asked her to give me a kick in the bum if I walked again and she kindly agreed to do so which kept me going. I was pretty happy to see the finish line and collapsed on the grass for a wee lie down! Run time was 29mins 10 so not too shabby a 5km time for me esp given how tired I was!



Total time was: 1.17.23 which was 11th in my age group, that was my worst finish and its still a good placing so I'm ok with that.
Overall, I placed 7th in my age group for the series so that was pretty cool and way way better than I have ever done in the past!


Somehow I was supposed to go for an hour long run after the tri, so that didn't happen, I was way too tired for that!

1 comment:

Rachel Harris said...

Fatigue has a way of catching up on you doesn't it! But I bet six months ago you would have said "No way!" when reading what your programme had set out for you that weekend. While I didn't do that race, I felt your pain just reading it!! A great exercise in character building - well done! :-)