Sunday, December 21, 2008

The race that wasn't!

Well, this morning was the Canterbury Tri Club Xmas Cracker Triathlon, always an interesting race this one, you would think so close to Xmas it would be stunning weather and it would be great for racing? But no, this is one tri that is very rarely a tri, in fact it has been reduced to a 5km run before! Today it changed to a duathlon which was a good call, it was pretty chilly out there, apparently about 5-6 degrees. I was a bit concerned about how to stay warm on the bike after the swim so was ok about it being changed, never happy to do a duathlon but it made sense. It was hard to know what to wear and I had decided to wear my tri-suit and long sleeved cycle top as it would be easy to peel off if I got hot. While standing round at the race briefing I got really cold so put my long running tights back on. So rather than a nice short 400m swim we had a 2km run instead, hmm I think I went out a little hard (I had done no warm-up of any kind which wasn't good given how cold it was!) so I have a nice split time for the first 2kms into transition of 10.54 so that was ok. Off onto the bike and I was feeling ok and was settling in for a good ride. The road was pretty wet and there were a few puddles etc out on the road, there was a particularly big puddle near the Sumner Surf Club and I swerved out to avoid it and when straightening back up I slipped on the wet road and because I was down on my aerobars I wasn't able to correct myself and I crashed off onto the road! Grrr, lucky there was no-one right behind me and I was able to get off the road pretty quickly. I seriously contemplated getting back on and finishing the race until I saw the state of my hand! I have a big chunk of skin missing off the heel of my right hand, bumps and bruises on my left elbow, left hip, knee and ankle. Am starting to cease up a little now but was good and went and visited the St Johns people to get bandaged up and have now had my first ever DNF!
The bike is ok, she has a scratched left lever, left pedal and the handlebar tape is shot! Left hood is also pretty torn but otherwise I think we got off pretty lightly. I cycled back to the finish line, it was only a couple of kms, and she seemed ok so that was good and Geoff has given her the once over and says she seems ok.
Oh well, better a DNF today than at Taupo! :)

4 comments:

Neets_ said...

Oh no Nadine. This will be the first time I probably feel like you about the potential damage to your bike. I'm thinking of my new bike being damaged and it would make me cry more than the pain and ugliness of having ripped skin off my body.

I'm glad you're both ok!

I have had a terrible night sleep and the trots and a sore tummy and contemplated coming out to watch this morning. But the rain put me off.

Well done on still getting out there in such miserable conditions.

Rachel Harris said...

Double the "Oh no"! I can imagine how your heart must have raced that split second that you realised you were going over (and especially while down on your bars). It just wasn't to be out there today, was it.

I felt nervous out there today in the greasy wet, so not good conditions to race in.

Rest up, and count your blessings if you can. :-)

Anonymous said...

oh you poor thing! Glad you are mostly ok!

good decision to have a DNF!

kalina

Unknown said...

ooopps... unfortunate that i come across your blog and find that you had a mishap. hope you're well and onto a speedy recovery.

just wanted to say Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! catch up with you guys soon.

cheers,
deo