Friday, December 19, 2008

What else has been happening?

Well, I actually managed to wear myself out! I woke up on the Monday after those last 2 races and said to Geoff that I felt so tired that I just wanted to call in sick cos I just didn't have the energy to go to work. I am however a little more committed to work than that so I headed off for my swim although I did cut it back and took it pretty easy. Got to work and my manager looked at me and queried how tired I was, when I admitted that I had felt like calling in sick she pretty much told me to go home, so I hung in there for a meeting and then headed off just after lunch. What you need to know is that I never ever do sick days! I haven't had a day off work for sickness in over a year. So toddled off home like I was told too, just as well I did cos when I got back to my car I had managed to not close the drivers door properly or lock my car! Cripes! Got home, made myself eat some food and spent the afternoon in bed. I have my weekly massage on a Monday evening and Carol bless her was very gentle and gave me a therapeutic massage rather than my normal sports massage, that made me feel heaps better. On the Tuesday I had to go to Wellington for work so flew up that morning and back the same day. Started feeling a bit off on the flight home and by the time I got home I was feeling shattered again whereas I had felt ok all day. So headed off for a nice early night only to be up and hugging the toilet bowl for the rest of the evening, so a bit of vomiting and diarrhoea just for fun! I was not in a good way, I was going from hot to cold for the rest of the night and got the shakes quite badly a few times just for good measure, so I actually do end up calling in sick the next day! I texted someone in my team and they thought I was joking cos I am never not there! So a day spent in bed reading books and sleeping! Thursday morning I thought I would try and go for my run but after walking the dog I decided that I was far too weak for that kind of effort! So a great week of training, a 40min swim on the Monday and then nothing! Eek! Managed to get all my weekend training done though so was feeling better about that!
It was new program time last weekend, my programs normally come in 6 week instalments but Richard thought it would be fun (??) to send me the whole 12 weeks that will take me right up to IM!! Hmm, that freaked me out!! I described it to someone as curling up in the foetal position with the plan being to stay there for the next 12 weeks, I also mentioned that while I wasn't quite sucking my thumb and rocking I wasn't far away from it!
I eventually calmed down and looked at my program a little more rationally and realised that it is all do-able, reminded myself that I have been trying for over a year and that I didn't just wake up yesterday and decide to do Ironman! So, I'm just focusing on one week at a time from here on in cos thats really the best plan of attack, Richard can worry about the stuff down the track, thats what he is paid to do, I just do as I am told :) One bonus is that I have planned every Wed afternoon off work as either annual leave or flexi until Ironman which means I can get in a long training session midweek as well as the weekends so its pretty neat that work is flexible about me doing that kind of thing!
This week has gone well and I have got everything done even though it meant I had to run at 6.30am on Wed which I really don't like doing, I'm not really a morning runner I think, lucky the IM run is last eh! Still it was kinda nice to be up on the Crater Rim nice and early on a weekday with hardly anyone else around even if the weather was a bit drizzly and gross!
This weekend brings the Christmas Cracker with it and as always for this race the weather is looking a little interesting! Never mind, its all part of the fun and I am looking forward to racing at Scarborough again, its been awhile!

1 comment:

Rachel Harris said...

Ha ha! I love your description of lying in the foetal position - it's a bit like that huh!! I'm pleased I'm not the only one who freaks a little when faced with reading too far ahead in the programme.

Are you like me, that because you train so much, you're very conscious that that side of your life doesn't affect work too much? I rarely take sick days too, and I don't think it's very fair going to work feeling tired as it's not work's fault! I get shitty at staff who have Monday-sickies because they've had too social a weekend, whereas I'm probably no better when I rock up feeling buggered!!