Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmas and today

Had a fun day of training this morning, over to Corsair Bay for the tri club swim. I've never actually been to one of these before and it was heaps of fun swimming with so many other people! And the good thing was that I pretty much swam non-stop whereas if I am on my own I tend to stop every now and again and make sure I am heading in the right direction etc. Then a very slow transition while I ate breakfast, got changed etc etc before heading off for a ride, I had to do a hill ride so decided that Corsair Bay to Gebbies and back would be a good ride and it certainly was. Rode most of the way out there with Turps and Russell so that was cool, the boys made me work hard on the way out tho! It didn't help that Turps somehow managed to fall off his bike getting out of Corsair Bay?? Russell and I very unfairly just left him there and biked up the road laughing away at the silly bugger. Laughing is not good tho as it appears I have bruised a rib (or two??) in my crash last week and laughing hurts like hell and leaves me very breathless so it took me awhile to get my breathing etc sorted after that wee episode, and yes Turps is ok, he just has a wee grazed knee, as he said the only thing hurt was his pride! Just so you know that climb up Gebbies from Teddington is a wee toughie! Its not too foul but it certainly isn't easy either! Had to do a 30min run off the bike, was looking forward to this as I got to wear my compression socks for the first time! To be fair I did only get them yesterday, so yep I headed off for my run wearing knee high white socks, black tri-shorts and a white cycle top. I think I attracted more than my fair share of odd looks, I found if I didn't look at people I didn't notice them giving me odd looks tho! hahaha! The socks are great tho, I felt like my calves were being gently massaged the whole time. My legs certainly felt fresher than they would normally feel after zipping up and down hills on my bike for 90mins so that is good.
Hard to believe it is only 10 weeks till the big day now, phew! I had a wee gulp when I realised Rachel only has 3 weeks togo, 10 weeks doesn't feel like long anymore so I can only imagine what 3 weeks is feeling like! Yikes!!
Christmas was a fairly quiet affair for us which was good. I headed off to the Tri Club Christmas Day swim and Geoff went for a short ride with Craig and Rosie then we had french toast for brekkie before heading out to McLeans Island for a BBQ lunch with Geoff's family, Mel and Jazz came too so that was cool. It's the second year we have done Christmas lunch this way and it works really well and means no-one has to host heaps of people and end up with a fridge full of food that you can't eat! We all took the dogs out as well so they had fun getting to know one another and running around being silly. We took them all for a bit of a walk before lunch to wear them out while eoff and one of his brothers went for an MTB ride. All 3 of us (dog included) had a big nap on the couch in the afternoon which was great! Nice and peaceful and was just us for the evening so no second big meal which was good cos I would have only eaten more food if it was there!
Right, I am off now to look at pretty new tri-suits now that I have found the link that Zarnia told me about. The tri-suits there are awesome, although a bit dearer than I was planning to spend but they are pretty cool, am thinking that I need an early b'day pressie...

4 comments:

Neets_ said...

sounds like a great way to spend Christmas day Nadine.

Now don't be shy with the website Zarnia gave you, share (please).

10 weeks is still a lot of training, but yes when you start getting to single figures it somehow seems so much closer (well it is really isn't it;-) )

wilier gurl said...

The website is: http://www.trishopaustralia.com/

I have checked with Zarnia to see which one she is getting so we don't end up the same... Not sure if you want to do the same thing, the one I want would match your bike as well as it would match mine! Not sure if you would like the same ones tho.

And yes 10 weeks is close, esp when you see how much training has to be done! Oh well, it was all my idea!

Nadia MacLaren said...

ah bah.. 10 weeks is heaps of time... in 5 you'll just wish you could get it over and done with I am sure.

Oh new shopping website to look at ;)

Neets_ said...

Ah yes, I remember Zarnia mentioning that website and the almost Maori design - though I don't recall Zarnia saying which one she was getting.

I still don't think I can afford one, by the time you convert to NZ it's $250 with postage.

Oh well, will just go on my wish list along with the aero bars and new bike carrier. And I'm sure there's plenty more like the CEP socks and 3/4 cycling tights and Skins. Boy the list does go on.