Wednesday, January 7, 2009

It's hot in the city!!

Blimey, but its warm as all the ChCh girls know! Today was my first half day on a Wednesday so that I can do a big mid-week training session, more than a few people questioned my sanity today when they learnt that I was heading out at 12.30 to train for 4 hours in 30 something degree temperatures, as I said tho I will be doing it on the day no matter what the weather is doing so best practise now! After stepping outside I actually questioned my sanity, leaving that air-conditioned comfort and going outside was like walking into a wall of heat! Jeepers! Lucky my ride was on the flat cos hills in that weather would have sucked big time! And the wind from this morning had died down, but not a lot though as I found out! I headed out towards Halswell and Tai Tapu, I was having a pretty good ride esp as I was convinced I was cycling into the headwind, umm wrong!! I turned around at Tai Tapu and promptly slowed down a lot!! Grrr, the wind was soo frustrating, it was all over the place, nice tail wind to Sumner, shitty head wind on the way home. I was so hot when I got to Sumner that I stopped at the dairy for an ice cream and a cold drink! My drinks had been in the fridge at work so started off nice and cold but were warm and gross within 30 minutes!! Yuk!
Made it home and was sposed to run for an hour, now that would have been insane so I just did a 20min stint through the reserve and that was more than enough in this heat. I had thought about doing my run later but given the current temperature I'm pleased I didn't, better a short run than no run.
Had to do an open water swim as well, so headed off to Corsair along with the rest of ChCh! It was really busy there, luckily everyone else just hangs out near the pontoon so I headed out around the back of the boats. It was a little choppy out there but I had a good swim and practised breathing on both sides which I am not good at doing in the open water.
Here's hoping things are a little cooler tomorrow! Looking forward to going back to my air-conditioned comfort at work :)

1 comment:

Nadia MacLaren said...

It was hot, but it was the wind that got to me yesterday, span out to sumner, then turned around and bam the wind hit me, and I was groveling. Did some efforts at Heathcote, but then decided to take a short cut home, I was very irriratble by the time I got home, couldn't be bothered going for the planned 15min run and slamed my butt down on the couch. And that was only 1.5hrs, blimin hell if it was 3!

Did notice at 9pm the wind had calmed right down, and thought I should have gone out now :)