Saturday, January 10, 2009

Where shall we run to?

When we go for a 3 hour run? It's often quite tricky to plan out where to go on a long run, esp when it is a flat one, let's face it those ones are a little boring! No exciting views or anything like that. I tend to do my flat runs from home, makes sense as I live on the flat and living by the river generally means it is quite a pretty run, often with a bit of abuse from kayakers that I know and see on the river! Today I dilly-dallied around wondering what the weather would do as I was really supposed to do my 5 hour ride today but with the fickleness of the rain threatening (I got rained on about 3 times driving to and from Corsair Bay for my swim) and eventually decided that I would do my run today as tomorrow's weather is supposed to be far nicer which is good as I don't fancy being stuck out around Ashley Gorge in a rainstorm!
So, about 10.30 I headed out the door and followed the river along New Brighton Rd and just kept following the path all the way along past the estuary and you eventually come out on Godwit Rd and onto Rocking Horse Rd. That part was quite pretty and interesting, then came the long straight haul all the way down Marine Parade, at least I had the wind behind me at this point and the good thing about running down there is that there are toilets and drink fountains at all the surf clubs, very handy when out on a long run as it is difficult to carry enough water, so I had a few wee stops to fill up the bottles on my fuel belt. Once I got to North Beach I headed up the Pegasus Bay walkway again and through the plantation. Back onto the road to head home, had to tack on a detour along Travis Rd and cut through Brooker Ave to get back home in a little over 3 hours. Quite a long time on my feet but I really enjoyed my day out and about! Had a really great run for me, if I can run like that at IM I will be stoked. Ran non-stop for the first 30mins, walked while I took on a gel and some water and then ran for the next 30mins. After that I was prob only walking about every 15mins and I never felt like I had to walk as long as I used to before I started running again. So running is good! It felt nice today and I seem to have gotten over the bruised rib as I didn't feel that at all today so that is good. I made sure I sun-blocked properly before going out and I must have sweated off my sunblock as I have new tan lines yet again from my singlet! Just hoping I don't have tan-lines from my socks! Hehehe
Honestly I think I must look like Rambogirl or GI-Jane when I head out for a run wearing my long socks, hair scraped back in a pony-tail with a headband holsing the rest of it back and my fuel belt slung around my hips! Haha!

3 comments:

Neets_ said...

Wow, 3 hr runs. Yeah I'm with you about how tricky it is to find enough distance to carry you to 3 hrs. I guess you could just head to Sumner and turn around at 1.5 hrs. But it's also quite nice to remain fairly handy to home.

Good work on the run G.I. Jane.

Nadia MacLaren said...

I discovered that using a buff while doing a long run works really well, keeps the hair out of your way, prevents your skull from getting fryed, and don't have a annoying peak to make you look at the ground like you do with a cap...

Of course Eamon thinks I look like a cancer survivor victim (I tell him to not be so rude , how inconsiderate!)

wilier gurl said...

Haha, I had thought about running to Sumner and back just to say I had done it, might do it yet on one of my longer runs!

Hmm, not sure I can pull off the buff thing, I use those headbands that look like really big hair ties, they do the trick keeping my hair off my face etc