Monday, January 5, 2009

Nades' Big Day Out

Yesterday was my turn to be taken out for the day by Geoff, wow I'm pleased I went first cos he set the standard pretty high!! Geoff is normally pretty casual about timelines etc but he had planned everything down to a T and we had to leave home by a certain time etc etc, was quite cute to see him stressing about being somewhere on time and he couldn't/wouldn't tell me where.
We headed north out of ChCh, accidentally going through Kaiapoi cos I distracted him by asking where I would turn off if I was biking out to Rangiora. Oops! A quick stop at Pukeko Junction to buy me coffee so that I wouldn't be tired and grumpy :)
Then to Pegasus Bay Winery for some wine tasting, yum! I love Peg Bay vinos! I now have a new favourite wine tho, the Pegasus Bay Aria is the most heavenly Riesling I have ever tasted!!
Then we headed off to ride the Weka Pass Railway! This is heaps of fun if you have never done it before, due to the fire ban they weren't using the steam engine but the diesel one is pretty cool anyway. You go from Glenmark through to Waikari, they stop partway along and you can get off the train while they back it up the track a little and then drive back so you can take photos etc. You then spend about 30-40mins at Waikari before heading back to Glenmark. All up about 2 hours doing something a little bit different, we rode in the open carriage on the way back which was pretty cool.
Next stop was Waipara Springs Winery for lunch, we had the platter and it is scrumptious and very filling! Pair that up with a rather nice Riesling while sitting in the sun listening to some live music, makes for a pretty nice afternoon!
After chilling there for awhile we headed on up to Hanmer where we were booked in for massages at 5.30, was quite odd having a relaxation massage after all those sports massages I have been having! Time for a bit of a splash around in the pools before and after which was nice, really really busy tho!
We had dinner reservations at The Laurels at 7pm, it's a good thing we had the massages cos we were able to use the showers etc at the Spa and they had a hairdryer etc which was good cos I wasn't prepared for swimming followed by a nice dinner. Dinner was lovely, The Laurels is a small intimate restaurant, tables for 2! Geoff had done some Googling and it was listed as the most romantic restaurant in Hanmer so that was pretty cool!
Very wicked day out and he had me home by 10pm so that I could get ready for work today which included sorting out swimming gear etc, as well as remembering how to use the iron!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh what a fantastic day! The massage would have been heavenly :)

Rachel Harris said...

Wow, that was a busy day!! What a shame you couldn't have stayed in Hanmer the night. I was thinking about doing the Weka Pass Railway yesterday too - what a shame we didn't. We would have been poking our heads over the seats and giggling at you both. You know, like stupid kids do.

Neets_ said...

Geoff did well! Sounds like an awesome day out. Just as well you got him some togs last week.

I bet you're looking forward to the next "holiday" where you get another chance to indulge each other in a bit of pampering.

Anonymous said...

oh that is an awesome day!

Yes the Aria is my FAV as well, I have a bottle at home but I can't drink it (dam it)- will open it when baby is born.

kalina