Saturday, September 20, 2008

That wasn't good!

So the plan for today was a 90min swim, straight swimming to see how far I could get in 90mins! I decided to head off down to Centennial as it is often quieter there on a Saturday morning, it was fairly quiet although there was an aquafit class in the lane next to me to start with so it was a little bit like doing a rough water swim! My plan was to hit the lap timer on my HRM every 10 laps so I would know how far I had gone without making it too challenging to count. Turns out I can't count to 10 as at least one of my laps was a lot quicker than some of the others! Oh dear! Still since I was swimming at a fairly steady pace I was able to work out how far it was in total. All was going swimmingly (yes, that was intended! Funny aren't I?) for about the first km then I had a headache kick in so I tried to ignore it in the hope that it would just disappear but no it actually got worse and worse! Grrr! I still kept ignoring and even at the 3km mark (just on an hour) I was determined to still finish the swim cos I don't DNF! Well, that went well until I threw up a little in my mouth (yes thats gross eh!) and at that point it was either a case of stop and get out or throw up in the pool. I went with the first option! It just seemed smarter! Eww but I didn't feel good eh! I stood at the end of the pool for ages just draped over the edge before I could summon up the energy to drag myself out, then stood under the hot shower for ages followed by sitting in the change rooms for ages before finally dragging myself into some dry clothes and heading home where I literally walked in the door and fell asleep on the couch for about 2 hours! By the time I woke up I felt like I could finally stomach taking some panadol to get rid of the headache that was still bothering me. Much later, its now 6pm, I am feeling much better and wondering about the sanity in doing the Oxford Half Marathon tomorrow! I guess I will see how I feel in the morning.
Quote for the Day:
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.
- Helen Keller

12 comments:

Rachel Harris said...

Gee, you and Bec sound like you had very similar experiences in the pool! That's not good. Have a good night's sleep, and ignore tomorrow's 22 degree weather forecast, complete with strong nor'westers! I think it was the same weather forecast last year, but Emma reported that Oxford had a good dose of nor'west rain instead. You're getting used to running half marathons in the rain though! ;)

wilier gurl said...

Yeah I read Bec's blog as well! Not a good swimming day for the girls at all, am a little worried that I will miss the bike cut off in March if I need a 2 hour nap after the swim!!
Yep half marathons and rain go hand in hand! I get to do an hour cycle first this time so that will add to the fun, I'm not even thinking of it as a race, tis just another training day! And hopefully a better one than today!

Rachel Harris said...

Oh, I forgot about your pre-half marathon cycle! What a nice coachie you've got!! ;)

I forgot to respond to you about the Half IM simulation - how intent are you on doing it on the Saturday? There's an event on the Saturday that we were going to trudge along to - I could do the Sunday no prob, and there's still a chance the Saturday will be fine too, but just putting out some feelers with you. (I assume you're talking about Saturday 1 November, rather than the 8th?) :)

Neets_ said...

Yikes. I think you did damn well actually. Good amount of guts and determination shown. Sorry it didn't pan out and you had such a tough time after making the right call to wrap it up for the day.

If you're good to go tomorrow, all the best.

wilier gurl said...

Hi Rachel,
Yes, lovely coachie I have! Not sure which one of us has the craziest ideas sometimes!
Kinda have to do it on the Sat as I have the PhysioMed tri on the Sunday, after which I get to do a 2 hour cycle, lovely weekend that will be eh! It could potentially be postponed to the following week if I ask. Yes, looking at the 1st at the moment, so would be the 8th (2 weeks out from the half IM) if that works.
Cheers, Nades

Rachel Harris said...

Okay, it now looks like we're good to go for Saturday the 1st if that's still a goer for you. That's going to be a big weekend for you then, although the Physiomed jobbie will seem ridiculously short for you now!!

wilier gurl said...

Cool sounds good, I think Richard has a couple of others keen to go down as well so it should be fun. Let me know what timeline suits you best, you have kiddlies and things to work around, Geoff is away on the 5 Passes tour that weekend so I'm free so to speak!

Hehehe yep was looking at my times for the Womenstri's for last year and that first one is less than 45mins! Crazy eh! Now I can't remember when I last did a training session shorter than that!

Rachel Harris said...

Sounds like a fine plan then. What does Richard have you down to do specifically by way of the simulation? (Just so I can ask Paul to put the same thing into my programme next time around.)

Hope the Oxford Half is going/went well!!

wilier gurl said...

Hiya, Oxford went as well as possible in a lovely nor'wester!
Richard has me doing 2 laps of each discipline so 2/3 of the distance as both run and cycle are 3 laps on the day. Its at fairly low intensity so definitely not a smash it out kinda day!! Was talking to another girl I know today at Oxford and Sarah is keen to come too, she is doing the half this year, she did the run last year in a team. Will sort logistics etc once you guys all have Spring Challenge over with.
Cheers, Nades :)

Rachel Harris said...

Glad it went as well as can be expected!

Will you be doing some of the swim as well? Just name a time and I'll be there (we'll be making our own way down, because the family are keen to take a squizz at Lake Hood too, seeing as we've never been there before).

I'm all for low intensity!

wilier gurl said...

Cool! Yep def doing part of the swim as well, you will need to as lake water is quite different to sea water (it tastes better too!). Was thinking maybe on the road at 7-ish aiming to be swimming around 8.30? What do you think? You guys are good at the early morning thing!

Rachel Harris said...

Yep, good to go - I'll be there for an 8.30am start. Neat, it'll be great to put three things together (for me anyway!).

Hey, well done on today's run - and for keeping your tummy contents where they needed to be until the finish line!!! Ha ha! Ahem, sorry. ;)