Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Ok, here is the news

I can't wait any longer, its all too exciting and I can barely sit still now and am generally being annoying to those who do know as well as those who don't!
So yep quite a few of you guessed it, I am off to have my eyes LASIK'd tomorrow at 3.20! Spent 2 hours there today getting my eyes mapped etc, its real trippy and really looks like a topographical map. I have asked the 50 million questions and had everything explained to me and then signed my life away! So the short story is that on Friday I will have 20/20 or better vision! No more glasses! Woohoo!! I have been wearing them since I was 6! Originally only for reading etc but full time since I was about 15-16. It will be very weird not putting my glasses on each morning thats for sure. So no swimming for a week but I will be good to go for our first open water swimming adventure the week after. Tomorrow I come home with a clear eye shield on which I am allowed to take off on Friday morning, then Geoff's mum will drive me into the clinic for a check-up on Friday morning and thats pretty much it! I don't even get to have a day off work! So very exciting, all I need to do now is buy some styley sunnies!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay - I am soooooo excited for you! All the very best - once you can see send me a txt and tell me how you are.

Now you are going to have to go and buy some sunglasses for cycling, and running and everyday wear.

That means more shopping....

Kalina

Rachel Harris said...

Ha ha ha, ho ho ho... we guessed it! We guessed it!!

That's so cool for you - good on you. You've done well to tolerate glasses for so long given all your pursuits. I'd go nuts if I couldn't wear contacts, and I'd go for it too, but I can't really justify it because I find contacts so convenient.

That's so exciting. Cool, cool, cool!

Anonymous said...

Thats awesome! How exciting :) A friend of mine had hers done and she thought it was the best thing she'd ever done. Isnt it amazing what they can do these days!

wilier gurl said...

Yeah I tried contacts a few years ago but with astigmatisms they are kinda tricky, they are weighted so they sit on the right angle but felt like they moved everytime I blinked! Very frustrating! Its weird to think it is all so quick and that this time tomorrow I will actually be able to see unaided!
Yep more shopping! Yay! heheehe

Olivia said...

jealous jealous jealous!
Good for you, enjoy your new eyes!

Neets_ said...

Woo Hoo. I can not begin to fathom what a huge change/impact this will have for you.

I bet you're excited. Life will be so different.

All the very best for the preparations and I'll be thinking of you on Friday.

Anonymous said...

Hi
you will love the result!! - I had it done a few years ago and its the best money I've spent!!!
Love not having to worry about my glasses!! ---- Freedom

Becks :)

Nadia MacLaren said...

I am almost disappointed. I had talked it up in my mind... you were taking months of work to train and that you will go overseas to train at altitude.

So no more glasses huh... man a whole new Nades, sounds like a awesome plan. Good luck

Rachel Harris said...

Come on, come on! You've had it done now, you will have had the follow-up appointment, so what's the verdict?!! A rip roaring success I bet!

wilier gurl said...

Sorry, I have been at work! You know, the place I go to so that I can afford to do stuff like this!

Weeell, I can see and its pretty cool! Got the all clear this morning, I am legal to drive with these eyes and they are looking all healthy and healing the way they are supposed to which is cool! I have a handbag full of various eye drops to use over the next few days. And nope it didn't hurt, I did have quite big 'pre-race' nerves tho! hehee

I will tell the whole story soon!!

Rachel Harris said...

Oh awesome, I can't wait to hear all about it! I thought I heard once that there can be some pain and grittyness afterwards (but I think that was with the PRK(?) method, rather than Lasik). Sounds like you've been left unscathed. :-)

Anonymous said...

Good on you. I hate having to wear glasses not not being able to see properly especially in the pool. Roughly what does it cost to have it done? It sounds so easy I would seriously consider having it done also

wilier gurl said...

Hi Anonymous...
Cost is $5800, yep that sounds expensive but when you add up what you would spend on glasses or contacts for the next 20-30 years its about the same! And it is definitely worth doing! The world is now a very different place!
Cheres, Nades :)