Sunday, September 28, 2008

Playing Catch Up

Hmmm, after all my growling at other people about playing catch-up with training sessions I have gone and done it myself. Normally I find it relatively easy to fit everything in, except for on Thursday this week for some reason. All I had to do was a 45min swim and a 45min run and as I didn't need to be at work till around 10-10.30 I figured it would be pretty easy. I got up and took the dog for a run in the plantation, one day I am going to work out that running first thing isn't something I excel at and I will stop doing this! It's never fun, was weird too, there were no other cars in the car park when I got there! It seems we potentially had the whole forest to ourselves which was kinda cool except for the logging going on which meant we turned around a little earlier than we would have liked. Off home and sorted out bikes to lend out for Friday, is it wrong that I actually have 2 spare bikes to lend out when the situation arises? By then I couldn't be assed going for my swim so decided to head to work and swim after work, I was working till 6.30 so figured the pool would be nice and peaceful by then. But by the time I got home I had a splitting headache and just couldn't bring myself to go for a swim while feeling a bit crappy! Not good, I have been real headachey on and off all week which has been pretty shite! So decided that I would swim on Friday morning which I did and I tried out the swim programs that Richard has had made up, it was pretty cool and seemed to keep me focused on my swim which is good.
Saturday, the plan was for a 2 hour run and a swim. If you live in ChCh you will know that it was super super windy on Sat am!! I was still headachey from the day before (or was that Thursday?) and quite honestly could have just spent the day in bed! Eventually dragged myself off for a run, headed up to Rapaki hoping that I wouldn't get blown off the hill! Run up was pretty average, I felt like I had no strength in my legs, am a bit worried I am getting sick off Geoff, he has been sick all week, bad cough etc! The bonus was that I had a tail wind helping push me up the hill. Once at the top I decided to head along the Crater Rim, now that was blustery!! On the way back I took the slightly smarter (read safer) option of heading along the Mt Vernon Farm Track to get back onto Rapaki and by this time the wind seemed to have spun around and when I was half way down Rapaki I had a tail wind fair pushing me down the hill! Flagged the swim again as I was feeling quite shattered by this stage.
Sunday was a 150min ride with a few intervals for fun and some quality time on my aerobars. Headed off to Sumner then thru Heathcote, along the base of the hills and out to Halswell before heading home for a run thru the reserve. Had a good ride and managed to spend heaps of time on my aerobars which was good, I need to keep practising that! Was feeling pretty good so decided I would do that swim from Saturday now. Swimming isn't overly exciting at the moment for some reason so I decided I would go and check out Jellie Park for a bit of inspiration. It's pretty flash out there I must say! I swam in the new pool which is 2m deep the whole length, both 25m pools had lanes set aside for lap swimming but I went for the new pool as they were heaps of kids playing and swimming in the other pool. The water seemed lovely and warm compared to Centennial so that was nice. The changing rooms there are huge and for you girls who don't like the showers, the showers at Jellie Park are all separate with locking doors and enough room to get changed in private! So a pretty good day to wind up an otherwise average week.
Quote for the Day:
"Hello there nice person
Did anyone ever tell you,
Just how special you are
The light that you emit
Might even light a star;
Did anyone ever tell you
How important you make others feel...
Somebody out there is smiling
About love that is so real,
Did anyone ever tell you
Many times, when they were sad
Your letter made them smile a bit;
In fact it made them glad
For the time you spend sending things
And sharing whatever you find...
There are no words to thank you
But somebody thinks you're fine,
Did anyone ever tell you
Just how much they love you?
Well, my "Dearest Friend"
Because I care about you
Today I'm telling you.......
- Unknown

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh no, not good to hear you haven't been 100%. Good on you for getting out there tho.
Are you any better now?
Kalina