Sunday, January 20, 2008

Wow, had a wicked day today! We live in such a pretty country and we barely notice it let alone enjoy it while we are busy running around doing what we need to do!
Started off today, Sunday, by heading down to Scarbrough to watch Jazz do his first triathlon. Well duathlon as it turns out, I think I would have switched too if I had to do my first ever triathlon swim in that water this morning, it wasn't pretty out there and it was super windy! He did real well tho, nice speedy transitions and looked real comfortable running.
After that I headed off to do my run, I had to do a hilly run so thought I would try somewhere new so headed off to do the Capt. Thomas Walkway which starts off in Sumner. I had read that it was pretty steep to start with so I was prepared for that! The first few hundred metres is pretty steep and lots of steps. After that it is just nice and undulating while continually climbing if that makes sense. Most of it is just a nice wee track cut into the side of the hill with a few rocky bits and stiles to navigate, it was nice having a tail wind push me up the hill! Crazy people mountain bike down the track, gee if I tried that I would be screaming the whole way down, it is pretty narrow and tricky in some places, I managed a few good skids and slides just running! At the top of that track I crossed the road at the hairpin in Evans Pass and headed up the Rapanui Track to the road at the top, across that road and up onto the Crater Rim walkway. I ran along there until it was time to turn back at which point I stopped for a few minutes just to admire that absolutely stellar view! It is amazing up there, you can see for miles and miles! There was no-one else around, I could see people in the distance running/walking and cycling but that was it, I could have stayed there all day just looking at the view. Had a good run back down, the head wind acted as a good brake so I didn't run too fast and fall down the side of the hill!
Had a good training day yesterday, swam at Corsair Bay and the water was lovely and warm! Did a lap inside the boats and then another out round the 5 knot buoys. Cycled from Corsair Bay to Governors Bay and back along to Lyttleton, up Evans and then thru Heathcote, over Murray Aynsley and home for a quick 10min run off the bike. Spent the rest of the day watching the Australian Open on the telly, did manage to get out and do some lopping of the bushes round the house so we can get in and out without fighting with the trees all the time. In the evening watched the awesome tennis game between Federer and Tipsarevic, what a game! That was better than watching a movie any day!
Yay work has moved into our new building so first day there tomorrow, I'm a little worried about how distracting that view will be from the 7th floor where I am, its amazing looking out there towards the Port Hills! It even looked nice the other day when the weather was icky!
Quote of the Day:
You don't drown by falling in water you drown by staying there
- Anonymous

2 comments:

Jill said...

Hi Williergirl - I see you have only 4 days until the Timaru Triathlon. What distance are you doing?

wilier gurl said...

Heya,
I am doing an Olympic distance, I did this race last year as my first Oly. Its one of the Contact Energy Series this year. Good luck for the Ocean Swim in the weekend! Go hard, remember you don't need to do a bike/run after the swim for a change :)