Saturday, June 21, 2008

It was a 2 thermal day today!

Blimies it was cold out this morning! I had to work from 9-1 so I was up earlyish (late compared to normal but early for a Saturday!) and walked the dogger, brrr very chilly out and even the footpaths were covered in frost. Hmmm, my cunning plan was to ride to work then head out on my ride from there, so not looking forward to that initial ride! I thought about driving my bike to work or just driving to work then home then out on my ride but its the shortest day and no lights on the Wilier so I was a little challenged on my timeline as sunset was set for 5.01pm and I needed to do a 4 hour ride, you do the math on that one, I had a 1min leeway! Silly me looked at the weather forecast and it was some ridiculously low temp, you have to laugh at Metservice weather, they indicate how many layers of clothing you need to wear to feel comfortable in the current temperature, so umm 4 layers were apparently needed to bike to work this morning! I managed 3 on top but just shorts and leggings on the bottom half, you need to know that lycra cycle shorts do a very poor imitation of 4 layers of clothing, then again I had 2 pair of gloves on and one pair was fleece and I was still blowing on my fingers trying to warm them up when I was stopped at the lights!! Lucky work is nice and warm and by the time I headed out again at 1pm it was actually almost quite nice out there in places! I was still wearing my 2 layers of thermals tho along with a very toasty cycle jacket, I had a pair of long tights in my pocket just in case shorts and leggings weren't enough! Had some company for my ride today which was nice for a change, I was chatting to Mike from work yesterday as we were leaving and I said I was doing a decent ride today. Came in to work and had an email saying he would be riding at the same time if I wanted some company so that was cool and he met me at work around 1. He may not offer again after I dragged him all the way around the hills! We went up Dyers Pass Rd, along the Summit to Gebbies, down into Teddington, along the bays, up Evans, down into Sumner and home. I was planning to head back along the Summit from Evans but it was going to be borderline for getting home in daylight plus the thought of descending from the Kiwi in all that grit on the road at the moment didn't appeal to me at all! Had to do a 15min run when I got home, all the way home I kept thinking 'oh I just won't do it, I can't be bothered' then I get thinking, hmm what will I write in my training diary if I don't?? Well, thats easy I just write nothing, thats simple enough to do. But then I start thinking what do I say when Richard asks why I didn't do it? I tried to think of any excuse that would sound even vaguely better than 'I just didn't wanna' and I couldn't, so yep, I came home, stripped off a couple of layers, on with the running shoes and enjoyed that 15min run! So did the dog, I dragged him out since it was just a short wee run! Woohoo,looking forward to tomorrow and a nice 2 hour run on the hills, am thinking I might go off in the other direction at the top of Capt Thomas for a change of scene!
Quote for the Day:
Show me a guy who's afraid to look bad, and I'll show you a guy you can beat.
- Lou Brock

No comments: