Sunday, June 22, 2008

Smart or lucky??

I swapped my programme around this weekend as the thought of a 4 hour ride in the rain on Sunday wasn't very appealing. The weather man is a little fickle I would have to say as other than about 5mins of spitting I don't think it actually rained, having said that, it was a far nicer cycling day yesterday than today so I think I was smart to change my days.
My goal for todays training session was to run a new track, well I successfully managed that, in fact I ran 3 new tracks! Started off on my standard Capt Thomas walkway, I still like that one for some reason. Normally when I get to the top I either head along the bluffs towards Taylors Mistake or onto the Crater Rim out Godley Head way. So today I decided to turn right at the top of Evans Pass and head along Crater Rim towards Mt Pleasant. I thought it would be a nice easy run! hahahaha it so isn't! You see I thought the track that you can see running parallel to the road was the Crater Rim walkway, alas that is the MTB track. The Crater Rim goes straight up from the road! Blimey, it gave my legs memories of climbing some of the hills at last weeks Rogaine and they weren't nice memories. It does level off and become normal undulating type terrain which was certainly much nicer although the rocks were a little slippery underfoot today. It was real foggy up there, I couldn't see the sea on either side of the view today and it was real real cold up there, I had taken my running jacket off at Evans Pass as I was real warm, it went back on pretty smartly! After I had slipped on a couple of rocks and decided that it was just too damn cold and probably unsafe, I hadn't seen anyone else up there, I decided to head back down and figured that a shortened run was better than a run where I fell down the side of a cliff or something daft. I was heading down and realised that I was going to be back super quick which wasn't good to look too good on my training programme so decided to take a couple of detours and turned off the Capt Thomas and headed out along the path that takes you up to the Scarborough Bluffs (another track I have never done) once I got to the road I turned back and headed down to the valley which takes you out near a riding school, I could see a walkway marker across the paddock and had seen a zigzag path heading down that way so headed up through there and managed to circle back onto the Capt Thomas so I was quite pleased with my meanderings around the valley and it was much much warmer down in the valley, it was quite pleasant actually. So now I have a bit of a plan of places to run if its just not smart to run along the hill tops. It started spitting as I was driving home so a bit of good timing there I think! Stopped in at WAC Cafe to get my morning coffee fix (at 1.30!) and by the time I was home the rain had stopped again.
Have just popped out to buy some new work shoes as a rather lovely dogger managed to chew one of my favourite work shoes the other day. It was funny at the shoe shop as I am wearing my compression tights under my jeans so when I pulled my jeans up to check out the shoes you could see my tights, it looked rather hilarious and I think I got more than one amused look! Oh well, I now have two new pair of shoes so thats all good. Just need to keep the dog away from them now.
Quote for the Day:
"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
- Gandalf the Grey {"Lord of the Rings"}

No comments: