Monday, June 2, 2008

Tour de Macklin

I love public holidays, they are like bonus training days! I always always make sure I ask for a mission weekend! It's great to challenge yourself and do a bit more than normal. This weekend wasn't as huge a mish as normal due to racing on Sunday.
Today I headed out for a ride with Kalina, all the boys piked out. It was too wet/cold/they were full of excuses eh! Geoff scoffed at every suggestion I made for a ride and told me I would get soaked if I went where I wanted to go. So with a promise not to call home if we got caught in the rain etc, Kalina and I headed off to meet young Tim Macklin at Coffee Culture Cashmere.
I was quite relieved to discover that I needed to do a flat ride as I had been thinking of doing short bays. So with not much of a plan other than to stay dry we headed along to the Halswell Downs then kicked off towards Lincoln/Prebbleton way. We were cruising along nicely when Tim asked if we wanted to see a really flash house, we figured why not and there started what became the Tour de Macklin, not quite as many stages as the Tour de France and a lot less lycra clad bodies but fun nonetheless! The flash house was Tim's brother-in-law (I think), then somewhere along the road were Tim's in-laws, Tim's brother, someone's previous house. The list was endless! Kalina and I were having a great laugh being held captive by all of this. (Held captive - cos basically we had no idea where we were so no choice but to keep following Tim or who knows where we would end up!!) We ended up in Lincoln, by this time I was really cold so we decided to head back to Cashmere for a coffee to warm up. On the way we managed to detour plus some more Macklin residences, both past and present! Craziness!!
Mmmmm coffee was good! We had missed a lot of the rain but were still damp, thankfully we managed to miss a huge downpour while we were inside in the warmies! Once the showers cleared we decided to head off, wouldn't you know it, my tyre had gone flat while we were inside. Luckily tho my bike is smart cos while we were fixing my flat it pissed down again!! We managed to shelter out of the rain and avoid that shower as well, if I hadn't had a flat we would have gotten drenched! I managed to impress a guy with my tyre changing ability, esp as he suggested he would be calling for a ride home on a day like today, I kindly explained to him about my earlier dramas and said there was no way in hell I was calling for a ride home today. It could have snowed, hailed and had ten flats I would still have found my own home, stubborn wee girl that I am at times! hehehee, oh well, it was all fun until I went to clean my bike before! Ick, she was filthy!! Just as well the boys at the shop didn't see her in that state, they may well have told me that I don't deserve her anymore! Never mind, she is sparkling now! Chain is all freshly lubed, I even rotated the tyres!
I managed to spend the rest of the day multi-tasking, if it was an Olympic sport I reckon I would have no trouble qualifying! I must have done about 7 loads of washing, made pumpkin soup, made a roast vege salad for my lunches, vacuumed, written my blog, updated my coaching log and emailed that away and after tea took the dogger for a nice wee walk. Phew, time to relax now but it starts all over again getting stuff ready for tomorrow, best I remember to pack those goggles this time!
Quote for the Day:
When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the fire department generally uses water.
- Unknown

No comments: